Office of International Services (OIS)

H-1B Temporary Workers

The H-1B Temporary Worker Visa is a non-immigrant classification used to temporarily employ foreign nationals who qualify as persons in a Specialty Occupation. A Specialty Occupation is one that requires a bachelor's degree, or higher, in the specific specialty or equivalent, and a theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge.

The H-1B Visa is generally used to employ those individuals at the Post-doctoral, Faculty and staff levels. The visa can be granted for an initial period of three years and may be extended up to a total of six years.

The process for obtaining an H-1B Visa can take 6 months. It is advisable to begin the application procedure at least 6 months in advance of the intended employment date. An individual may not begin employment until the United States Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) has approved the H-1B Visa.

The USCIS offers premium processing service to expedite the processing of H-1B Visas. This service is available at a cost of $2,500. To obtain more information about this expedited service, please contact the OIS at 718.430.2850 or

Click here to log in