Environmental Health & Safety

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I obtain a license to use radioactive material at Albert Einstein College of Medicine?  

  • You will need to complete an application form and submit it to the Radiation Safety Officer along with attachments (see Obtaining a License to Use Material for additional information).


If I have a license to use radioactive material, how do I add a radioisotope or increase my possession limit for a radioisotope?  


I have a new employee in my laboratory who needs a film badge. How do I obtain a badge for him?  


What do I need to do in order to work with radioactive material in a licensed principal investigator's laboratory?  

  • You will need to take the Radiation Safety Training offered by the RSO and pass the exam, and obtain dosimetry (a film badge) prior to working with radioactive material. If you have never worked with radioactive material before you should inlist the help of an individual experienced in the technique you will be performing. For information on handling a particular radioisotope go to Working with Specific Radioisotopes. You will need to comply with all applicable regulations and policies for working with material.


If I am working with P-32 should I wear a ring dosimeter?  

  • Ring dosimeters should be worn when handling P-32 in amounts greater than 500 uCi. If you will be performing procedures with P-32 in this amount complete a the Film Badge Request and/or Deletion form and send it to the RSO to obtain a ring dosimeter.


Click here to log in